Friday, December 18, 2009

December 18, 2009

Dear Pine Glen Community,

I am very proud of all the talented musicians at Pine Glen Elementary School. It was wonderful to see the joy on the students faces as they sing. Their youth, hope and optimism speaks to what the holidays are truly all about. I would like to thank our band instructor Mark Napierkowski, music teachers Jennifer Agati and Jennifer Rzasa for putting together a magnificent concert. I also would like to thank Akiko Coram for volunteering her time to accompany the students on piano.

This week I also had the pleasure of reading the Polar Express to the kindergarten students while we were all in our pajamas. The hot chocolate was delicious. Several of the older students told me how much they remembered this event in kindergarten and what a special memory it held. The older students also had shown great concern in asking me if I had forgotten to change that morning for work as I was wearing my pajamas. At the end of the Polar Express, on the last page the narrator and main character informs the reader that now that he has grown older many of his friends do not hear the “sweet sound” of the bell. The bell is symbolic and does not just represent the traditions of Christmas but, childhood. The author states, “Though I’ve grown old, the bell still rings for me as it does for all who truly believe.” Sharing this wonderful day with the kindergarten students in particular and all days with the students at Pine Glen allows me the opportunity to still hear that bell ring in all its sweet sound.

I hope everyone has a safe, happy and joyful holiday season.

Sincerely,

John Lyons
Principal
Pine Glen School

No comments:

Post a Comment