Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Note from Principal: What I am Thankful for this Year

A regular tradition my family has at Thanksgiving to go around the table during dinner and say what we are most thankful for this year. One thing that came to mind last night while reading to my daughters before bedtime was the wishing wand hanging up in their bedroom. Seven years ago a colleague of mine gave birth to a daughter who needed a heart transplant. To help support her family, several of my colleagues made wooden “Wishing Wands” - a wooden star wand that was uniquely decorated and sold these as a fundraiser. The “baby” is now in second grade and doing very well!

The wishing wand made me think back to my days of teaching and some of my students who were the first to receive surgeries that at the time were considered to be groundbreaking, miracle procedures. I had followed the progress of several of these students and they are all doing great.

My niece will be celebrating her second birthday this year in January. She was born at 24 weeks and was called a micro-preemie. The pediatrician refers to her as a miracle. She is a petite talking, walking, and smiling toddler who inspires me every day.

What I am most thankful for this year are children. Thinking of how delicate life is and how close in the balance my niece’s first months alive were, past/current students amazing challenges with cancer and other similar medical challenges, and my friend’s children’s lives have been makes me reflect on how much children add and help us rejoice life in general.

I thank all the parents of Burlington for letting me play a role in enriching your children’s lives. I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment